Ask anyone to name four or five luxury goods brand and there’s a very good chance they will include Rolex in their list. Rolex – like many other superlative quality brands – has grown through innovation and design. Rolex succeed by bringing products to market where other brands fear to tread in case of failure. On this page we take a look at the Rolex Submariner and the Rolex Sea-Dweller (Deepsea)
All images are courtesy of Rolex Watches
- History of Rolex from 1905
- Rolex Submariner range overview
- For Sale – Rolex Submariner watches (UK first –> scroll for USA sellers)
- How much to pay (Submariner)
- Rolex Submariner Video Review
- Video – How to Spot a Fake Submariner
- Rolex Sea-Dweller range overview
- For Sale – Rolex Sea-Dweller watches (UK first -> scroll for USA)
- How much to pay (Sea-Dweller)
- Counterfeit Rolex information
- Rolex Sea-Dweller Video Review
- Video – Spotting a Fake Sea-Dweller
A short history of Rolex
Hans Wilsdorf – 1905
Would the brand have been succesful with the name “Wilsdorf” on the watch’s dial? Who knows. Hans Wilsdorf founded Rolex in 1905 – aged just 24. The original company was based in London – not Switzerland – and they specilised in distributing quality timepieces – primarily clocks. At that time wrist watches were rare and inaccurate. Wilsdorf was a visionary and he predicted the desirability of an accurate and attractive wrist watch.
Riding on the upper desk of an Omnibus in 1908 Wilsdorf was trying to think up a name for his new brand. He wanted it to be short and look good on the watch dial. According to Wilsdorf – “ROLEX” was the name whispered in his ear by a genie while riding the Omnibus – a brand name that now stands for quality, accuracy and innovation. More about the history and major milestones of Rolex through the ages can be found here
Authorised Rolex shopping partner
The first Rolex dive watch was the Submariner. It first appeared in 1953. Over several decades the Rolex Submariner has been improved by engineering innovation. Newer models (since 2008) have been certified to a waterproofness of 300m (1220ft) and feature Rolex’s patended Cerachrom bezels – an incredibly tough ceramic substance that should outlast and outshine more traditional materials used by other brands.
The current models feature the Rolex calibre 3130 self-winding mechanical movement. It can be hand wound if left unworn for several days. Following a full wind the calibre 3130 movement should provide accurate (within +/- 2 sec/day) timekeeping for up to 48 hours. Keep it on your wrist and it will run and run – wound by the perpetual rotor. Like all Rolex Oyster models the Submariner has passed the Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute (COSC) tests.
How much to pay?
Expect to pay anything from £5,000 to £30,000 / $6,000 to $35,000 for a Rolex Submariner. The massive difference in price can be appointed to several factors including:
- Provenance – the better the proof of authenticity / original ownership to more expensive the watch will be
- Model variety – the Rolex Submariner is available with several case materials. The cheapest being Rolex Oystelsteel – then Oystersteel and Yellow Gold and finally White Gold
- Rarity – some models are much rarer than others. We have seen models from the 1970’s sell for ver £25,000. Standard steel cased models but the harder to find NO DATE version, complete with box, papers and original jeweller’s receipt.
- Do your research – this is a major investment. Research the specific model on websites such as Chrono24.co.uk and Watchfinder.com. Narrow it down to a specific model number and year eg – “Rolex Submariner 116610LN Black”
Latest classified adverts
These watches are imported from eBay using a filter programmed by us at Chronodivers. All efforts have been taken to ensure that the correct products appear in these feeds. However – due to errors in listings (by the seller) and occasional glitches in our filters – the WRONG watch may show in these listings. Please ensure you have the desired product before making any purchase commitment. We are in no way responsible for any purchases made as a result of these listings.
Counterfeit warning – shoppers must make their own judgement to determine the authenticity of any watch before buying it – avoid buying a fake watch
Rolex Submariner watches for sale – UK
- Date posted : 29th January 2020 4:15 pm
- More details : Rolex Submariner 114060 Non Date Black Ceramic BOX ANDDate posted : 28th January 2020 5:45 pm
- Date posted : 28th January 2020 4:15 am
- Date posted : 27th January 2020 2:45 pm
Rolex Submariner watches for sale – USA
- Date posted : 29th January 2020 4:00 pm
- More details : Rolex Submariner Date 40mm Stainless Steel Mens Watch 16610Date posted : 29th January 2020 2:30 am
- More details : VERY RARE ROLEX 16800 Submariner Tritium 3 HandsDate posted : 28th January 2020 5:30 pm
- Date posted : 28th January 2020 4:00 am
The Rolex Submariner is currently available either with or without the date window. The case may be either Oystersteel, Oystersteel and Gold, all Gold or White Gold. The customer also has the option to configure thier own preferred Cerachrom bezel and watch face colour – options being black, blue or green.
Examples of 2019 Submariner models
Rolex Submariner 116610 Review
Dylan of Bijou Diamond Jewellery reviews the Rolex Submariner in Steel (ref. 116610)
Spotting a Fake Submariner
Watchfinder.co.uk – Two Rolex Submariner 116610LNs, one real, one not — can you spot the fake Rolex?
Rolex Sea-Dweller (and Deepsea)
In 1967 in collaboration with COMEX – Rolex produced their first Sea-Dweller with helium escape valve. It was only in 1971 that this slayer of the deep was offered to the general public. The Rolex Sea-Dweller was initially certified to a depth of 610m. Today’s models have a waterproof rating of 1,220m (4,000ft) and 3,900m (12,800ft) – the latter being the Rolex Sea-Dweller Deepsea
James Cameron – Mr Deepsea
In 1960 Jacques Piccard and US Navy Lieutenant Don Walsh broke records when they reached the bottom of the Challenger Deep part of the Mariana Trench. Their vessel was called the Trieste – a 2 man deepsea “bathyscaphe” submersible. They achieved a maximum depth of 10,911 metres (35,797 ft)
In 2012 James Cameron completed an historic solo expedition also diving deep in to the Mariana Trench. His dive rewarded him with a place in the record books – World’s Deepest Solo Dive. He was accompanied (externally – attached to his submersible) by a Rolex Sea-Dweller. Inside his submersible – out of respect for his record breaking Trieste peers – he took a Rolex Deepsea Special watch from 1960.
The dial on the curent Sea-Dweller DEEPSEA is a homage to the film director. The colour gradient from brilliant deep blue to darkest black signifying the darkness experienced by James Cameron as he descended to a depth of 35,756 feet (10,898 meters) a depth unattainable anywhere else in the ocean .
A small selection of Rolex Sea-Dweller watches currently being advertised in the UK and USA. Some of these sellers will ship WORLDWIDE so it is advisable to check all listings. If importing from another country, remember that there may be taxes and duty to be paid.
Expect to pay
Expect to pay anything from £7,000 to £30,000 / $8,000 to $35,000 for a Rolex Sea-Dweller. The wide price differential can be appointed to several factors including:
- Provenance – you will pay more for uneqivocal proof of authenticity / original ownership.
- Model variety – with several case materials – the cheapest Sea-Dweller features the Rolex Oystelsteel case- then Oystersteel & Yellow Gold and finally the most expensive White Gold
- Rarity – some models are simply rarer than others. The lowest production runs usually attract the highest prices. For example a Rolex Comex Sea-Dweller 1665 could fetch anything around £90,000 / $100,000
- Do your research – get to be an expert on the model you’re looking to purchase. Use websites such as Chrono24.co.uk and Watchfinder.com. Narrow it down to a specific model number and year eg – “Rolex Sea Dweller Deepsea D Blue James Cameron 126660”
Unfortunately the most desirable products are often those most copied. No one wants to waste many thousands of dollars on a FAKE watch worth little more than $200/$400. The quality of the counterfeit watches is improving all the time. Please take note of Watchfinder’s article on Fake Rolex. We have also embeded a couple of useful videos – JustBlueFish – Spotting a Fake Sea-Dweller and WatchFinder.co.uk – can you tell which is the fake Submariner.
Rolex Sea-Dweller watches for sale – UK
- Date posted : 29th January 2020 3:45 pm
- Date posted : 29th January 2020 2:15 am
- Date posted : 28th January 2020 5:15 pm
- More details : Rolex seadweller deepsea D blue James Cameron 2016Date posted : 28th January 2020 3:45 am
Rolex Sea-Dweller watches for sale – USA
- Date posted : 29th January 2020 3:30 pm
- More details : Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M Serial – Box & PapersDate posted : 29th January 2020 2:00 am
- Date posted : 28th January 2020 5:00 pm
- Date posted : 28th January 2020 3:30 am
Sea-Dweller models (2019 range)
Rolex Deepsea models (2019)
Driving the Rolex Deepsea is the calibre 3235 movement. A new-generation of movement developed and manufactured in-house by Rolex. The calibre 3235 is a self-winding mechanical movement – the forefront of the art of watchmaking. Innovative design – with 14 patents – offering extraordinary levels of precision, power reserve, resistance to shocks and magnetism (being made of nickel-phosphorus – a material insensitive to magnetic interference.)
Bob’s watches – 116660 Sea-Dweller review
Bob’s Watches – Rolex Sea Dweller “James Cameron” 116660B Watch video review
JustBlueFish – spotting a Fake Sea-Dweller
Real Vs. Fake Rolex Sea-Dweller – Comparing 126600 to a Noob Replica
External references / further reading
- An early history of Rolex – (Rolex.com)
- James Cameron and the Rolex Deepsea (Rolex.com)
- Spotting a Fake Rolex (Watchfinder.co.uk)